Some of Emanuel’s early fashion work has been quoted in print as ‘overblown romantic’, ‘fairytale’ and ‘theatrical’, so it will be of no surprise to learn that he has indeed gone on to design sets and costumes for film, television, ballet and the concert stage. ‘Frankenstein, The Modern Prometheus’ with sets and costumes designed by Emanuel was commissioned and world premiered by The Royal Ballet, at The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. It was also staged and performed at La Scala Opera House, Milan.
March 2009 sees Emanuel designing costumes for the ‘Thornbirds’, a musical for the Wales Theatre Company. This is his second collaboration with the award winning director Michael Bogdanov. Based on the block-buster novel by Colleen McCullough and music by Gloria Bruni; this follows on from the hugely successful television mini series starring Richard Chamberlain, Christopher Plummer, Barbara Standwyck and Rachael Ward screened globally in 1983. The show will tour the U.K extensively before finishing in July at the Wales Millenium Centre, before leaving for a European tour.
In 2006 Emanuel was commissioned by The Wales Theatre Company to design the costumes for the World Premiere of the new musical ‘Amazing Grace’, headlined by West End stars Peter Karrie and Shan Cothi, music and lyrics by award winning composer and lyricist Mr. Mal Pope and directed by award winning director Michael Bogdanov. The production instantly received critical acclaim and back by popular demand for a second season was played to packed theatre audiences throughout the U.K. and finaled at the internationally renowned Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff.
- Emanuel designed the wardrobe for leading lady Susan Brooks for her movie debut ‘Invitation to the Wedding’, starring John Gielgud.
- Emanuel designed the costumes for leading lady Jane Seymour’s role in the award winning television film, ‘War and Remembrance’.
- Emanuel dressed the celebrated actress Susan Hampshire in the Frances Durridge thriller, ‘House guests’ at the Savoy Theatre, London
- Emanuel designed the wardrobe for the singer/entertainer Lulu in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s ‘Song and Dance’.
‘Cinderella’ the most famous of all pantomimes, was commissioned with designs for both sets and costumes. It premiered at the Richmond Theatre, London ‘the largest running pantomime in the history of theatre’, and has attracted an impressive line-up of celebrities. During its five year run, it went on the stage of the world famous London Palladium, London. The cast has included, Dame Anna Neagle, Des O’Connor, David Essex, Paul Nicholas, Lionel Blair and Patsy Kensit to name but a few…
- Emanuel dressed the critically acclaimed actress/movie star Sian Phillips as ‘The Snow Queen’ in the annual Christmas spectacular, ‘Joy to the World’, at The Royal Albert Hall, London.
- Emanuel styled the cast of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical ‘Sunset Boulevard’ at his private Sydmonton Court Festival prior to its West End opening.
- Emanuel designed the sets and costumes for ‘On the Beach’, an original work for the English National Ballet.
- Emanuel currently designs for and styles the opera singer Lesley Garret, Britain’s most popular, top-selling Diva! As well as her concert performances he designed her first BBC2 special, ‘Viva la Diva’; indeed her first gown, a red silk taffeta crinoline creation, even inspired her album: ‘Soprano in Red’, making it her best selling album to date.
He loves this work and is always enthusiastic with new challenging projects!